Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Walking in the Rain

Well, I'm getting geared up for the 5K on Saturday and honestly I am a little scared. Up until today, all of my walking was done on my treadmill. So today, I was determined to hit the road until the rain came down. We live in a pretty technological world though, so I checked weather.com. It said that the rain was on the way out and would clear up in plenty of time for me to still get my walk on. I slipped the headphones over my ears and the plug into my Blackberry. I was going to listen to a walking workout program on my Blackberry.

Ha! It was clear when I left the house, but I could still hear a faint rumble of thunder in the distance. I walked on! I had mapped out 3.2 miles on the USATF website. I knew where I was going or so I thought. I took a wrong turn down a dead end street and ended up having to backtrack. I decided that I would cut my walk a little short to make up for the mistake. As I got to where I was supposed to turn around down came the rain! By the time I arrived back home, I was soaked. Fortunately, my Blackberry fared quite well in my pocket. It was a learning experience though. I learned:

  • Never trust the forecast radar to pinpoint where the rain is going.
  • My cheap Wal-Mart walking shoes are not waterproof.
  • Black clothing is better to wear if there is any possibility of getting wet.
  • Those loose-fitting clothes that us fat princesses wear to camouflage our figures become form-fitting when wet. I apologize to all the folks passing by in their vehicles.
I also must admit that I had thought for just a moment about calling my husband to come pick me up, but then I decided against it. I didn't want to get my car seats wet, so I walked on. I'm sure that the folks on their way home from work were probably wondering what I was doing. If I saw a thin woman walking in the rain, I would think, "Boy, is she dedicated to exercise!" But I'm pretty sure that people were just wondering what that fat chick was doing walking in the rain. At least I wasn't sweating!

Tomorrow, I plan on hitting the St. Tammany Trace for a whole 3 mile walk after my Weight Watcher's meeting! Tomorrow is weigh in day, I'll post my results!

No comments:

Post a Comment