Sunday, October 10, 2010

Roasted Vegetables...my version

Had someone told me that I was going to be loving eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini and squash this time last year, I would have laughed at them. But one of the advantages of being on WW's is that you learn to try new foods that you would have thumbed your nose at before. 

While shopping at one of my favorite health food stores, I decided to try something new, their Roasted Veggie Sandwich with Havarti. Being the good WWer that I am, I quizzed the lady at the counter about the contents of the sandwich. Mayo? No, Veginaise. How much? 1 teaspoon or less. Oil? A small amount of olive oil to roast the vegetables. How much cheese? one slice. All the while I'm calculating points in my head...Bread 3, Cheese 2-3, Veginaise 1, veggies 1. The sandwich was excellent! So much so, that the next time I was in the store I saw that they sell just the veggies all roasted up by the pound! I contemplated buying some until I saw the price $8/lb!! Wow! So, I decided that I would attempt making my own. This is what I came up with: Yummy!

Roasted Veggies
POINTS® Value:    1
Servings:  5

Preparation Time:  20 min
Cooking Time:  60 min
Level of Difficulty:  Easy
Course: side dishes
Add and subtract vegetables based on your personal taste. The balsamic vinegar adds a sweet and tangy note to the roasted vegetables. A serving is about 1 cup.

Ingredients


3 cup(s) cooked eggplant   
1 cup(s) cooked zucchini   
1 cup(s) cooked summer squash   
1 item(s) bell pepper(s), chopped   
1 cup(s) cooked onions   

1 Tbsp olive oil   
1 cup(s) cooked mushroom pieces   

1/3 cup(s) balsamic vinegar   

1 tsp table salt   

1 tsp black pepper   
1 cup(s) cooked chayote fruit   

Instructions


toss all veggies in vinegar and oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Roast covered at 350 in a 9x13 pan for one hour or until veggies are fork tender and onions are fully cooked.
Serve hot or cold.
This can also be made into a sandwich on whole wheat bread and Havarti cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment