Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Adventures in Booga Booga Land - Volume 1 (DVD)

 This week I'm reviewing a kids' DVD for Thomas Nelson's Booksneeze program.
The introduction episode introduces us to  the Marty the monkey and Gerard the Giraffe. Each adventure relates to the parables of Jesus. Episode 1 conveys the parable of The Workers in the Vineyard with its story of how Marty and Gerard get a job  and learns that the boss, Stan, can be generous to others who don't deserve it. Episodes 2 portrays Marty and Gerard as the Wise and Foolish Builders.  The final episode,  The Lamp under The Bowl, features our heroes building a lighthouse and keeping it lit.  These stories are appropriate for early elementary aged children.

I watched the DVD with my 4 year old daughter. Personally, it lacked substance for me, but she loved it. The animation and silly situational comedy reminded me of several cartoons that come on the kids channels that contain such questionable material...think cellulose in pants. There were instances of minor violence, Marty's improper use of power tools and Gerard's using dynamite to explode the rocks, but over all it was nothing compared to what is found on TV. I didn't find it offensive, but then I don't leave power tools laying around for my daughter to find. 

The lighthouse episode totally lost me. It was unclear what the light was that Marty and Gerard were catching in the bottles that eventually provided light for the lighthouse.

Overall, my child loved it. She watched it over and over again which is honestly the true test of a good kids DVD.


I was provided this DVD for free in exchange for my review through the Thomas Nelson Booksneeze program.

No comments:

Post a Comment